Bothenhampton Village

* Tribute to Roger Ffooks at start of Meeting -

" Requested visit from Jason Rogers - Commander West Dorset, Dorset Fire & Rescue Service


Present: Bob Dennis(Chair), Alan Stenning(Vice Chair), Geoff Matthews, & Colin Sparkes.
In attendance: Chris Dobbs (Clerk).


34.1 - To remind Parish Councillors that if a matter arises at a Meeting which relates to an interest in Appendix A of the Code of Conduct adopted by resolution of B&WPC on Monday 9th July 2012, then the member shall not participate in a discussion or vote on the matter. Where a matter arises at the meeting which relates to Appendix B of the Code of Conduct, then the member shall withdraw from the Meeting. Where a matter arises at a meeting which relates to a financial interest of friend, relative or close associate, the member concerned shall disclose the nature of the interest and withdraw from the meeting.


35.1- There were apologies from - Ian Bark, Ed Hanson, & Pennie Jones.


The Minutes of the previous Meetings of Bothenhampton and Walditch Parish Council held on Monday 13 July 2015, were accepted as true records and duly signed by the Chairman.


37.1- May 2014 - 1 to 11, June - 12 to 22, July - 23 to 33, August - no Meeting, September - 34 to 44, October - 45 to 55, November - 56 to 66, December - no Meeting, January 2016 - 67 to 77, February 2016 -78 to 88, March 2016 - 89 to 99, & April 2016 - 100 to 110. This is following the advice of the Internal Auditor, and creates a unique set of Minutes for each month in the year.

37.2 - WW1&2 Memorial - thank you letter read to PC -

37.3 - Litter Bin in John Gundry Play Area - described that Lengthsman wil empty monthly

37.4 - 4 Uplands - e mail assured Meeting that no regulations had been breached -

37.5 - Elizabeth Welch nominated for Co-option to Parish Council - Proposed by Geoff Matthews, seconded by Colin Sparkes, and carried by all Parish Councillors present. Elizabeth was duly invited to join the Meeting as a Parish Councillor.


At 7.10 p.m. the Meeting was adjourned to enable members of the public to air their view on matters of local interest. At 7.30 p.m. the Meeting re-convened to complete the Council's Agenda, there being no further matters raised.

n.b. - There were 4 members of the public present at the Meeting.


Dave Rickard - commented about the condition of the road surface in Hollow Way. Requested by Clerk to contact DCC, also Parish Council to contact.

Mentioned the apparent blocked drains in Hollow Way and the overhanging vegetation in Sea Road South.

WDDC Planning is not up to speed at the present time.

Reminded the PC that Energy Support Grants were reducing in the near future, and that the Village Hall may well be advised to pursue an Application.


Reminded PC that drain inspection and clearing was carried about by DCC upon request.

Asked for Parish Council support as regards the 44 Bus Route changes.

41.* PLANNING AGENDA for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 14 September 2015.

a) Applications received from WDDC/DDC -

WD/D/15/001644 - 86 West Bay Road - Erect extn. & replacement garage/outbuilding - Approval sent 24/8/15 -

WD/D/15/001671 - 2 Glebe Close - Double Garage - Approval sent 24/8/15 -

WD/D/15/001730 - 1 Marsh Gate - Approval sent 24/8/15 -

WD/D/15/ 001646 - Flat 1, Montrose, 91 Crock lane - Approval sent 24/8/15 -

WD/D/15/001832 - 37 Pasture Way - Corporate View of the PC is to recommend an Objection to Planning Consent.

WD/D/15/861 - 3 Nordons - Corporate View of the PC is to recommend an Objection to Planning Consent.

b) Decisions by WDDC/DCC etc.

WD/D/15/001372 - Flat 4, 91 Crock Lane - WDDC Approval 21/7/15 -

WD/D/15/000982 - 48 Crock Lane - WDDC Approval 27/7/15 -

WD/CA/15/00196 - 72 East Street - authorization to carry out work 3/8/15 -

WD/CA/15/00219 - Stoneleigh, Walditch - authorization to carry out work -

WD/D/15/ 001732 - The Granary, Hyde Farmhouse, Walditch - Certificate of Lawfulness 10/8/15 -

WD/D/15/001671 - 2 Glebe Close - Amended Plan/Certificate B -

Vodafone Mast, Hyde Plantation, Walditch - Acknowledgement of whether or not a formal application of details will be required - will write again before the 11 October 2015 -

42. FINANCE AGENDA - B&WPC MEETING - Monday 14 September 2015.

Receipts - Business Reserve Account - 0.40 Interest - Statement Sheet 91 -

i) Statement of Current Account as at 31 August 2015 - 16679.07

ii) Accounts for Payment

Less outstanding cheques as listed :-


1439 - Clerk's Salary - July & August - 808.66

1440 - Bothenhampton Village Hall Committee - Grant - 2000.00

1441 - Sovereign Design Play Systems Ltd - John Holt Play Area - 5899.03
Nb. - Work to be carried out on 21 - 23 September, with payment on completion.

1442 - Clive's Handyman Services - Painting of goal posts - 88.00

1443 - David LandscapesLtd - Grasscutting - July to September - 865.80

Total 9661.49

Balance 7017.58

Cheques as listed proposed for payment by Geoff Matthews,seconded by Colin Sparkes, and carried by all Parish Councillors present.

43. * PARISH MATTERS - for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 14 September 2015.

- n.b. All items to be introduced by Clerk unless specified on Agenda -

43.1 - Review of Risk Assessment Policy -

Nb. Copies distributed at June Meeting - 5 further copies available at this Meeting -

Action at July Meeting - Review to now take place at September Meeting - Clerk to distribute present Policy with July Minutes -

Action at September Meeting - Copies of Policy distributed, and Review delayed to October Meeting

43.2 - Confirmation of September 2014 Finance Agenda Approval -

Action at September Meeting - Clerk had been informed by telephone, that Annual Return was completed & notes and invoice to follow.

43.3 - Walditch Village Hall - Application for Grant re ceiling repairs -

Action at September Meeting - Estimate of 950 presented to PC, who approved a Grant fo the full amount.

43.4 - Grant for Bothenhampton Village Hall -

Action at June Meeting - Clerk noted that PC were not owners of the Hall, & requested that a written Grant request for funding is forwarded for the Parish Council's consideration. Parish Councillor Ian Bark asked if the Clerk could make withdrawal enquiries regarding the PC's Business Account.

Action at July Meeting - After some debate regarding the level of Grant, it was agreed by the PC to award 2000 to Bothenhampton Village Hall Committee, towards the damp proofing work. The PC also advised the Clerk to set up proceedings to close the Parish Business Reserve Account, and for the monies to be transferred to the PC Current Account.

Action at September Meeting - Grant paid(see Finance 42),+letter to NW as outlined above -

43.5 - DCC Highways have not yet cleared outlet to Wanderwell Stream - Colin Sparkes -

Action at July Meeting - Clerk has spoken to Connect, and has been assured that monitoring of the Wanderwell Stream outlet is taking place. PC requested that Clerk sends e mail to, to request written confirmation of monitoring -

Action at September Meeting - e mail received from Balfour Beatty confirming inspection procedures. Clerk requested to enquire about inspection at outlet adjacent to Groves Nurseries -

43.6 - Estimates for Cedar Tree at Valley View Amenity -

Action at July Meeting - Approved Report - stated that major deadwood needs taking out, and Ivy band to be stripped from base of tree. Clerk advised to obtain estimates.

Action at September Meeting - Estimates totally 240 for remedial work in Valley View Amenity Area Approved by PC. To investigate Report re state of Walnut tree on site -

43.7 - Lengthsman's duties for September 2015 -

Bothenhampton -

* Construct steps to provide easier access from Footpath 5/14 to Bowhayes -
Nb -contacted DCC, Bowhayes is private road - requested DCC does estimate of cost - nb - not received to date -

Clear drains in Hollow Way - Ed to enquire re DCC input -

Strimming verges at top of Quarry Lane -

Monthly Inspection of John Holt Play Area -

Walditch - Spinners Lane - Chimney Report - WDDC Building Control -

Site inspection of Spinners Lane -

Monthly Inspection of John Gundry Play Area, to include Bin emptying -

43.8 - Bridport Area Neighbourhood Plan -

Action at July Meeting - Neighbourhood Plan to be advertised at Bothenhampton Church Fete on Saturday 18 July -

Action at September Meeting - Clerk read following Report to the Meeting :-

During the past three months a series of public consultation events have taken place in each of the parishes and the town. The events took place alongside existing social occasions in an attempt to reach and engage with as many people as possible. The final event was held at the Melplash Show on August 28th. In addition to meeting residents face to face and noting their comments a questionnaire has also been completed.

Whilst every effort has been made to engage as many people as possible the number that have 'actively participated' has been a little disappointing. The final consultation will be a postal ballot with every person in the area covered by the Neighbourhood Plan receiving a ballot paper. The challenge on this occasion will be ensuring that all those eligible to vote do so from an informed position.

The appointment of a new Project Manager in July during the public consultation period enabled her to take stock of the work done so far before embarking on the next phase.

In the meantime Steering Group have established a number of Working Groups the remit of which is, on the back of the feedback from the public consultation, carry out further research and produce formal proposals for the final draft of the Neighbourhood Plan. It is envisaged that this work will take up to six months from September.

The publication of the Local Plan, which provides the framework for the Neighbourhood Plan, included the confirmation of the Verse Farm development. The challenge now is to use the Neighbourhood Plan to ensure that the development that takes place meets the needs of the area as fully as possible and not just the developers!

43.9 - Review of cover arrangements for Clerk -

Action at July Meeting - nb. 17 Hours logged by Clerk during last week - Clerk to meet with Ian Bark on Tuesday 25 August at 09.00 -

Action at September Meeting - Ian absent - next meeting with Clerk arranged for 7/10/15 -

43.10 - Play Area Inspection Reports & refurbishment of John Holt Play Area -

Action at June Meeting - PC have previously accepted quote, & the possibility of an additional cost of 612 for temporary fencing. Clerk has sent e mail to Sovereign, requesting work to be carried out in September.

Action at July Meeting - Clerk advised PC to proceed with Annual Inspection -

Action at September Meeting - Clerk to arrange Inspection of John Holt & John Gundry Play Areas, post completion of John Holt Play Area refurbishment -

43.11 - Parking in Crock Lane -

Action at June Meeting - County Councillor Ron Coatsworth has sent an e mail to Pc, requesting that Parking in Crock Lane is discussed at July Meeting -

Action at July Meeting - No discussion took place as Ron Coatsworth had left Meeting, so Agenda item to September Meeting -

Action at September Meeting - Ron Coatsworth had left Meeting - no discussion took place.

Proposals for Parish Matters Agenda -October 2015 Meeting.

The access of emergency vehicles in Main Street to be included in October Parish Matters Agenda.

44. CORRESPONDENCE - to be tabled at Meeting.

N.B. All correspondence is available from Clerk unless assigned to a Parish Councillor as listed.
44.1 - Axe Valley & West Dorset Ring & Ride Grant request - to be considered at October Meeting -
44.2 - WATAG Bus Times - to Elizabeth Welch -
44.3 - DAPTC Magazine - distributed -
44.4 - CPRE - Fieldwork & Countryside Voice - for Pennie Jones at next Meeting -
44.5 - DCC - Draft Waste Plan - Clerk to retain -
44.6 - Stae of Jellyfields - Clerk to contact DCC -

The next Meeting of the Parish Council will be held at BOTHENHAMPTON VILLAGE HALL, on MONDAY 12 October 2015, commencing at 7 pm.

There being no further business to discuss, the Meeting closed at p.m.


Monday 14 September 2015 - Jason Rogers, District Commander - West Dorset, Dorset Fire & Rescue Service, addressed the Meeting & described his awareness of the recent difficulties experienced by a Fire Engine call out in Main Street, Bothenhampton.
A subsequent visit by the District Commander to the narrowest part of Main Street confirmed that consideration should be given to ensuring that access to emergency vehicles was assured at all times. He indicated that some form of constructed pinch point may well be required.

The Meeting was joined by Blair Turner, an Officer from DCC, who considered that further investigations should be made regarding access at the narrow point in the road. He agreed to attend the next Meeting of B&WPC with some outline proposals. There was a suggestion from the Clerk that a suitable sign requesting vehicles to KEEP CLEAR for EMERGENCY VEHICLES may also be considered. Clerk to contact DCC to arrange survey before the Meeting on Monday 12 October.

Walditch resident expressed concern about the overhanging hedges at the junction of Walditch Road and the A35 into Bridport - Clerk to contact Connect.

Stile is unstable on Footpath W5/7 - Clerk to contact DCC Footpaths Officer.