Bothenhampton Village





There are two churches in Bothenhampton, both called Holy Trinity.


Holy Trinity Old Church

Holy Trinity Only the 13th century chancel and 15th century tower survive from the medieval parish church. In the 1880's the parishioners decided that their church was too decayed and too small and secured a faculty to demolish most of the old church and to build a new and larger one half a mile away.
For some time the chancel was used as a mortuary chapel, however in 1971, the old chancel, which had been out of use for so long and which was in need of extensive repair, was declared formally redundant and in the following year it passed into the care of the Redundant Churches Fund for preservation.(now the Churches Conservation Trust) Holy Trinity
Holy Trinity There is an early 18th century sanctuary, with oaken altar rails, dado and reredos all designed as a single unit. The reredos, with pediment and urn, incorporates the Creed, Commandments and the Lord's Prayer. The floor is paved with square slabs of grey slate and white marble.


The Old Church is situated at the end of Old Church Rd and is normally open. There is more information in the booklet available in the church for 40p.

Holy Trinity New Church

Holy Trinity The new church of Holy Trinity stands at the western edge of the village. It was designed by E.S. Prior with W H. Lethaby, who were the chief inspirers of 'Arts and Crafts' architecture. Exponents of this architecture stressed the need for the building to be individually designed for its purpose, harmonising with its surroundings, with the use of best natural, preferably local, materials. This was done at Bothenhampton, the church blends beautifully with the landscape, the majority of the stone came from the quarries in Bothenhampton and the contractor came from Bridport.
The nave is spanned by three great transverse arches and is 48 feet long and 27 feet wide. The chancel is 25 feet long by 14 feet wide and it also has a massive arch. The whole building gives the impression of great strength. Holy Trinity arch
Holy Trinity porch Both the porch and main roof are now covered with stone 'slates' from Purbeck. The ancient door was transferred from the old church. The foundation stone was laid in 1887 by Mrs Gundry and the church consecrated in 1890 by the Bishop of Salisbury.


The late Cyril Kay, local historian and churchwarden of Holy Trinity produced the book "Bothenhampton and its Churches". It was updated last year and the third edition is now for sale at 2 from Holy Trinity Church.

Holy Trinity
Church in Spring with daffodils.