Bothenhampton Men's Club was formed in 1912 using a disused stable at the top of Duck Street as its original club room before moving to the newly completed 'Church Hall and Club Room' in 1914. In 1932 the opportunity arose to purchase its own club room in the form of an old granary and cider mill located at the bottom of Main Street. this building needed quite a substantial 'Changing Rooms' type makeover and this was done using various trade skills of club members. A first meeting was able to be held there in October 1932, followed by an official opening in November 1932. The club has continued to thrive with many stalwart members having given many years service to the club organising activities such as snooker, billiards, table tennis and darts.
Whilst the club room can be made available at any time, it is usual for pre-arranged groups of local men to meet on regular evenings to enjoy friendly rivalry in a convivial atmosphere - but it should be noted that there is no bar licence. Club activities are now mainly snooker - occasionally billiards - played on a well maintained three quarter size table. Annual tournaments are still contested for billiards singles snooker singles and pairs and the 'Gartcosh Trophy' is awarded for the highest annual snooker break.
There is an annual membership fee of £5.00 and table fees are 35p per person per game.
For further information contact:-
- Joe Collins, The Rockery, Old Church Road, Bothenhampton 01308 420 337
- J. Hind 1 Lansdown Road, Bothenhampton 01308 425 614