Bothenhampton Village


Present: Bob Dennis(Chair), Ian Bark, Pennie Jones, Ed Hanson, Geoff Matthews, Colin Sparkes, & Elizabeth Welch.
In attendance: Chris Dobbs (Clerk).


45.1 - To remind Parish Councillors that if a matter arises at a Meeting which relates to an interest in Appendix A of the Code of Conduct adopted by resolution of B&WPC on Monday 9th July 2012, then the member shall not participate in a discussion or vote on the matter. Where a matter arises at the meeting which relates to Appendix B of the Code of Conduct, then the member shall withdraw from the Meeting. Where a matter arises at a meeting which relates to a financial interest of friend, relative or close associate, the member concerned shall disclose the nature of the interest and withdraw from the meeting.


46.1- There were apologies from - Alan Stenning & Dave Rickard.


The Minutes of the previous Meetings of Bothenhampton and Walditch Parish Council held on Monday 14 September 2015, were accepted as true records and duly signed by the Chairman.


48.1- May 2014 - 1 to 11, June - 12 to 22, July - 23 to 33, August - no Meeting, September - 34 to 44, October - 45 to 55, November - 56 to 66, December - no Meeting, January 2016 - 67 to 77, February 2016 -78 to 88, March 2016 - 89 to 99, & April 2016 - 100 to 110. This is following the advice of the Internal Auditor, and creates a unique set of Minutes for each month in the year.

48.2 - Dry stone wall adjacent to John Holt Play Area in need of repair - estimate of 100 Approved from local stonemason, Derek Ridge.


At 7.05 p.m. the Meeting was adjourned to enable members of the public to air their view on matters of local interest. At 8.05 p.m. the Meeting re-convened to complete the Council's Agenda, there being no further matters raised.

n.b. - There were 36 members of the public present at the Meeting, which was extended by the Chair to 1 hour duration .


Dave Rickard - Apologies


Regarding 54.11 - Parking in Crock Lane

Ron suggested that the parish Council requested a Parking Scheme to be considered for Crock Lane -

There is some consideration that all Councils in Dorset become an Independent Combined County County Council, with possibly a joined together Pension Fund. Such arrangements are unlikely to favour rural areas and the Parish Councillors present were advised that any such plans should be treated with great caution.

In answer to a question regarding hedges which overhang Highways, Ron indicated that landowners were directly responsible for cutting back.

52.* PLANNING AGENDA for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 12 October 2015.

a) Applications received from WDDC/DDC -

WD/D/15/001972 - 6 Manor Barn, Main Street, Bothenhampton - Single Storey extension - to Colin 21/9/15 -

WD/D/15/002179 - 65A Gundry Road - Erection of new single storey dwelling - to Meeting 12/10/15 -

WD/D/15/001861 - 3 Nordons - Amended/Additional Plan - to Colin 12/10/15 -

b) Decisions by WDDC/DCC etc.

WD/D/15 001671 - 2 Glebe Close - Approval -

53. FINANCE AGENDA - B&WPC MEETING - Monday 12 October 2015.

Receipts - WDDC Precept - 12049.00

i) Statement of Current Account as at 30 September 2015 - 24965.61

ii) Accounts for Payment

Less outstanding cheques as listed :-
v Cheques

1444 - Clerk's Salary - September 2015 - 404.33

1445 - DCC - John Play Area - No Parking signs - 194.96

1446 - HMRC - July to Sept. 2015 - Post Office Ltd - 284.31

1447 - BTC - Lengthsman April to Sept. 2015 - 1080.00

1448 - Clerk's Expenses - Printing & Post - 19.04

1449 - Office Accommodation - July to Sept. 2015 - 97.50

1450 - Talk Talk Business - Annual Broadband Fee - 215.78

1451 - BDO LLP - Annual Return Fee - 240.00

1452 - Grant to Walditch Village Hall - 950.00

1453 - David Landscapes - Grasscutting - 283.60

Total 3769.52

Balance 21196.09

Cheques as listed proposed for payment by Elizabeth Welch, seconded by Pennie Jones, and carried by all Parish Councillors present.

54. * PARISH MATTERS - for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 12 October 2015.

- n.b. All items to be introduced by Clerk unless specified on Agenda -

54.1 - Review of Risk Assessment Policy -

Nb. Copies distributed at June Meeting - 5 further copies available at this Meeting -

Action at July Meeting - Review to now take place at September Meeting - Clerk to distribute present Policy with July Minutes -

Action at September Meeting - Copies of Policy distributed, and Review delayed to October Meeting Action at October Meeting - Debate and Review carried out - Risk Assessment Policy for 2015/2016 agreed by all Parish Councillors present.

54.2 - Confirmation of September 2014 Finance Agenda Approval -

Action at September Meeting - Clerk had been informed by telephone, that Annual Return was completed & notes and invoice to follow.

Action at October Meeting - Annual Return Approved and accepted by all Parish Councillors present. Issues Arising Report concerning the Internal Auditors recommendations regarding Payment authorization were duly noted - ie -' That the council must ensure in future years it follows Financial Regulations, which should include a requirement for all expenditure to be authorized by the council'.

54.3 - Consideration of Emergency Access at narrow part of Main Street -

Action at October Meeting - Parish Councillors present endorsed the view of the experts present at the Democratic Hour previously held,( see Report dated 12 October 2015).

54.4 - Axe Valley & West Dorset Ring & Ride Grant request -

- From 44.1 - September Correspondence -

Action at October Meeting - Geoff Matthews proposed a Grant of 100, seconded by Ian Bark, and supported by al Parish Councillors present.

54.5 - DCC Highways have not yet cleared outlet to Wanderwell Stream -

Action at September Meeting - e mail received from Balfour Beatty confirming inspection procedures. Clerk to enquire about inspection at outlet adjacent to Groves Nurseries -

Action at October Meeting - Clerk advised to speak with BTC regarding the matter.

54.6 - Estimates for Cedar Tree at Valley View Amenity -

Action at September Meeting - Estimates totally 240 for remedial work in Valley View Amenity Area Approved by PC. To investigate Report re state of Walnut tree on site -

Action at October Meeting - Clerk advised to instruct Forest & Tree Care to proceed -

54.7 - Lengthsman's duties for October 2015 -

Bothenhampton -

* Construct steps to provide easier access from Footpath 5/14 to Bowhayes -
Nb -contacted DCC, Bowhayes is private road - requested DCC does estimate of cost - nb - not received to date -

Clear drains in Hollow Way - Ed to enquire re DCC input -

Monthly Inspection of John Holt Play Area -

Maintenance of gullies half way along Long Lane -

Cut back overhanging Branches along the left side of Burton Road -

Walditch - Spinners Lane - Chimney Report - WDDC Building Control -

Site inspection of Spinners Lane -

Monthly Inspection of John Gundry Play Area, to include Bin emptying.

Drain - halfway up on the left of Lower Walditch Lane - suggestion that spoil is shifted to the other side of the road.

54.8 - Bridport Area Neighbourhood Plan -

Action at September Meeting - Clerk read following Report to the Meeting :-

During the past three months a series of public consultation events have taken place in each of the parishes and the town. The events took place alongside existing social occasions in an attempt to reach and engage with as many people as possible. The final event was held at the Melplash Show on August 28th. In addition to meeting residents face to face and noting their comments a questionnaire has also been completed.

Whilst every effort has been made to engage as many people as possible the number that have 'actively participated' has been a little disappointing. The final consultation will be a postal ballot with every person in the area covered by the Neighbourhood Plan receiving a ballot paper. The challenge on this occasion will be ensuring that all those eligible to vote do so from an informed position.

The appointment of a new Project Manager in July during the public consultation period enabled her to take stock of the work done so far before embarking on the next phase.

In the meantime Steering Group have established a number of Working Groups the remit of which is, on the back of the feedback from the public consultation, carry out further research and produce formal proposals for the final draft of the Neighbourhood Plan. It is envisaged that this work will take up to six months from September.

The publication of the Local Plan, which provides the framework for the Neighbourhood Plan, included the confirmation of the Verse Farm development. The challenge now is to use the Neighbourhood Plan to ensure that the development that takes place meets the needs of the area as fully as possible and not just the developers !

Action at October Meeting - Ian commented that Public Consultation was now complete, and some planning to contact every householder is being designed -

54.9 - Review of cover arrangements for Clerk -

Action at July Meeting - nb. 17 Hours logged by Clerk during last week - Clerk to meet with Ian Bark on Tuesday 25 August at 09.00 -

Action at September Meeting - Ian absent - next meeting with Clerk arranged for 7/10/15 -

Action at October Meeting - The Clerk outlined to the PC, Local Council Administration reference Chapter 9-9.3 - Councillors as Officers . The next Meeting with Clerk and Ian has been arranged for Wednesday 4 November -

54.10 - Play Area Inspection Reports & refurbishment of John Holt Play Area -

Action at September Meeting - Clerk to arrange Inspection of John Holt & John Gundry Play Areas, post completion of John Holt Play Area refurbishment -

Action at October Meeting - Approved to arrange an out of sequence inspection of John Holt & John Gundry Play Area at the cost of 218 + VAT for the first site, & 65 +VAT for the second site.

54.11 - Parking in Crock Lane -

Action at June Meeting - County Councillor Ron Coatsworth has sent an e mail to Pc, requesting that Parking in Crock Lane is discussed at July Meeting -

Action at July Meeting - No discussion took place as Ron Coatsworth had left Meeting, so Agenda item to September Meeting -

Action at September Meeting - Ron Coatsworth had left Meeting - no discussion took place.

Action at October Meeting - Ron suggested that PC request a ' Parking Scheme for Crock Lane ', from DCC

Proposals for Parish Matters Agenda - November 2015 Meeting.

2016/2017 Budget for PC needs to be considered and approved at November Meeting -

55. CORRESPONDENCE - to be tabled at Meeting.

N.B. All correspondence is available from Clerk unless assigned to a Parish Councillor as listed.

55.1 - CPRE - Fieldwork & Countryside Voice - for Pennie Jones at October Meeting -

55.2 - State of Jellyfields - Clerk to contact DCC -

55.3 - Starting School 2016 Poster - to Pennie -

55.4 - Letter from Savills re Vearse Farm - to Ian -

55.5 - Electoral Review - Final Recommendations - to Elizabeth -

55.6 - DAPTC - Annual Return - Colin Sparkes to continue as Area Representative -

The next Meeting of the Parish Council will be held at BOTHENHAMPTON VILLAGE HALL, on MONDAY 9 November 2015, commencing at 7 pm.

There being no further business to discuss, the Meeting closed at 8.50 p.m.


Monday 12 October 2015 -

The Meeting was addressed by Jason Rogers, Commander West Dorset, Dorset Fire & Rescue Service, and Blair Turner from Dorset County Council.

Jason Rogers, as in the September Meeting, expressed his concern about the narrow point in Main Street and the recent difficulties experienced by a Fire Engine call out to gain access. He showed a number of large print photographs which showed the Fire Engine incident and examples of occasions when large vehicles would have impeded access. He again indicated that some form of constructed pinch point may well be required. Members of the public present were supportive of the need for emergency vehicles to have clear access at all times, but were unsure of the 'pinch point' recommendation as a solution.

Blair Turner presented and distributed an outline plan(see attached), to construct a raised area along the front of Ab Antiquo. This construction would restrict the access, but prevent any parking opposite. It was suggested by Blair Turner that only about one & a half parking spaces would be lost against the High Wall. While the public were generally supportive of the plan, there was other suggestions as to how the very occasional access problem could be addressed. A KEEP CLEAR for EMERGENCY VEHICLES sign secured on the hand rail of the High Pavement steps was one suggestion, with a designated narrow parking space for motorcycles alongside. It was considered that the listing regulations would not permit such a sign adjacent to the High Wall.

After a long extended Meeting, Blair Turner agreed to consider the suggestions made, and to carry out a further review of the road design as seen necessary. There remained many members of the public who were still anxious about the potential loss of spaces to park along Main Street. The estimated cost of 6000 for the pinch point work was suggested by Blair Turner.