Bothenhampton Village


Present: Bob Dennis(Chair), Alan Stenning(Vice Chair), Ian Bark, Geoff Matthews, Pennie Jones, & Ed Hanson.
In attendance: Chris Dobbs (Clerk).


12.1 - To remind Parish Councillors that if a matter arises at a Meeting which relates to an interest in Appendix A of the Code of Conduct adopted by resolution of B&WPC on Monday 9th July 2012, then the member shall not participate in a discussion or vote on the matter. Where a matter arises at the meeting which relates to Appendix B of the Code of Conduct, then the member shall withdraw from the Meeting. Where a matter arises at a meeting which relates to a financial interest of friend, relative or close associate, the member concerned shall disclose the nature of the interest and withdraw from the meeting.


13.1- There were apologies from - Colin Sparkes, Geoff Matthews, Dave Rickard, & Ron Coatsworth.


The Minutes of the previous Meetings of Bothenhampton and Walditch Parish Council held on Monday 11 May 2015, were accepted as true records and duly signed by the Chairman.


15.1- May 2014 - 1 to 11, June - 12 to 22, July - 23 to 33, August - no Meeting, September - 34 to 44, October - 45 to 55, November - 56 to 66, December - no Meeting, January 2016 - 67 to 77, February 2016 -78 to 88, March 2016 - 89 to 99, & April 2016 - 100 to 110. This is following the advice of the Internal Auditor, and creates a unique set of Minutes for each month in the year.


At 7.10 p.m. the Meeting was adjourned to enable members of the public to air their view on matters of local interest. At 7.20 p.m. the Meeting re-convened to complete the Council's Agenda, there being no further matters raised.

n.b. - There were 2 members of the public present at the Meeting.


Apologies from District Councillor Dave Rickard -


Apologies from Ron - has sent an e mail message for the Meeting - to be raised at Parish Matters -

19.* PLANNING AGENDA for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 8 June 2015.

a) Applications received from WDDC/DDC -

WD/D/15/000982 - 48 Crock Lane - to Colin 14/5/15 -

Action at Meeting - Corporate View of the PC is to recommend Approval, with reservations regarding parking provision -

WD/D/15/001176 - 18 Slades Green - sngle storey extn. - to Colin 5/6/15 -

Action at Meeting - Corporate View of the PC is to recommend Approval -

WD/D/15/001186 - Bridleway, Old Church Road - erect garage - to Meeting 8/6/15 -

Action at Meeting - Corporate View of the PC is to recommend Approval -

b) Decisions by WDDC/DCC etc.

Noted concerns raised re Planning -

1. Development in garden of 4 Uplands, Walditch - Nb EdHanson & Alan Stenning withdrew from Meeting -

Action at Meeting - Clerk requested to contact WDDC, to ask advice & express concern re fire risk.

2.Proposed Outline Planning for 2 dwellings off Lake Lane, Bothenhampton -
Nb - Bob Dennis withdrew from Meeting - Action at Meeting - No Action - Clerk advised that no Application had been received from WDDC

20. FINANCE AGENDA - B&WPC MEETING - Monday 8 June 2015.

Receipts - Donation for John Holt Play Area Funds - 874.16

i) Statement of Current Account as at 31 May 2015 - 21086.50

ii) Accounts for Payment

Less outstanding cheques as listed :-


1421 - David Landscapes - Grasscutting - 283.60

NB - Paid 20/5/15 -(not cleared in 31 May Statement)

1422 - C T Dobbs - Clerk's May 2015 Salary - 404.33

1423 - Darkin Miller Limited - Internal Audit work May 2015 - 211.20

1424 - C.T.Dobbs - June 2015 Expenses - 61.78

1425 - David Landscapes - Grasscutting - 283.60

Total 1244.51

Balance 19841.99 \

Cheques as listed proposed for payment by Pennie Jones, seconded by Ian Bark, and carried by all Parish Councillors present.

21. * PARISH MATTERS - for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 8 June 2015.

- n.b. All items to be introduced by Clerk unless specified on Agenda -

21.1 - Annual Return 2015 - The Annual Return and Audit for the year ending 31 March 2015 -

Action at May Meeting - Annual Return and Audit documents Approved by PC. Internal Audit is presently in progress, and should be ready for the next Meeting.

Action at June Meeting - Approval of Internal Audit Report PC. Clerk informed Meeting of Audit Report Advice, and commented that all recommendations as listed had been actioned. The Audit Report is to be sent with the Annual Return documentation following this Meeting.

21.1a - Grant for Bothenhampton Village Hall - It was Proposed by Bob, and seconded by Ian to recommend a Grant of 50% of the cost to address the rising damp in the Village Hall.
The Clerk requested that further estimate details be presented to the PC before specific funding could be allocated.

Action at May Meeting - Clerk's request was positively considered, & Pennie is to investigate how payment of funds re VAT can be administered by Village Hall Committee.

Action at June Meeting - Clerk noted that PC were not owners of the Hall, & requested that a written Grant request for funding is forwarded for the Parish Council's consideration. Parish Councillor Ian Bark asked if the Clerk could make withdrawal enquiries regarding the PC's Business Account.

21.2 - DCC Highways have not yet cleared outlet to Wanderwell Stream - Colin Sparkes -

Action at April Meeting - to contact Connect on 01404 823381 -

Action at May/June Meeting - Clerk now needs to contact WDDC -

21.3 - to choose sites for 4 DCC Grant benches -

Action at May Meeting - Two sites have been agreed - by the Holy Trinity wall in Bothenhampton, and at the top of Valley View Amenity site. Placement outside Jellyfields & Wanderwell LNA's need further investigation.

Action at June Meeting - Agreed to place 1 bench at entrance to DCC Jellyfields LNA site -
To consider last bench placement fo next Meeting -

21.4 - Concerning Ab Antiquo, re APM on 11May 2015

Action at June Meeting - Clerk reported that he has received an email from Andrew Brown acknowledging receipt of Approved letter from PC.

21.5 - Estimates for Cedar Tree at Valley View Amenity site Safety Report -

Action at March Meeting - PC agreed for Safety Report to be carried out by DCC at estimated cost of 150 - Clerk to contact DCC with request -

Action at April Meeting - Requested to DCC, that an Inspection of Cedar Tree is Actioned -

Action at May Meeting - no progress to report -

Action at June Meeting - Clerk understands that Safety Report is being actioned by DCC this week.

21.6 - Lengthsman's duties for June 2015 -

Bothenhampton -

* Construct steps to provide easier access from Footpath 5/14 to Bowhayes -
Nb - Need to contact DCC with request - Blood Lane(off Crock Lane) - pile of debris needs removing -
Strim Tony's Track - Westown -
Clear Jacolines Crock area in Crock Lane -

Walditch - Broken Finger Post sign to Play Area needs attention.
Spinners Lane - blocked drains - iron grid needs lifting and debris to be removed -

21.7 - Bridport Area Neighbourhood Plan -

Action at April Meeting - Notes to be attached to Minutes + Green Spaces Document distributed to PC at Meeting - to be placed on May Agenda -

Action at May Meeting - Potential of Green Spaces in Bothenhampton were discussed, and PC agreed that more detailed consideration is needed. Clerk to provide each member with a map of the local area for next Meeting. Bob Dennis declared an interest in one area of Green Space.

Action at June Meeting - Map of local area distributed to each Parish Councillors, & Potential of Green Spaces on Agenda for July Meeting -

21.8 - Review of cover arrangements for Clerk -

Action at April Meeting - to set date for Audit Check/Annual Return - Tuesday 5 May at 10.00 with Bob Dennis & Clerk at 6 Sunnyside -
Ian Bark to meet with Clerk on Monday 11 May at 10.00 -

Action at June Meeting - Clerk commented that usually it was necessary to work additional hours each week due to increasingly high level of administration - presently employed for 11hours per week.

21.9 - Declaration & Registration of Interests -

Action at May Meeting - Ed Hanson was co-opted, and members were handed Declaration & Registration of Interest Forms for completion. There remains 2 vacancies for Walditch Councillors, and 1 for Bothenhampton.

Action at June Meeting - Have now collected completed forms for Bob Dennis, Alan Stenning, Colin Sparkes, Ed Hanson, Geoff Matthews, Ian Bark, & Pennie Jones.

21.10 - Play Area Inspection Reports -

Action at April Meeting - Clerk requested to write outline email to Sovereign specifying the detail of the PC approval of estimate - to present to May Meeting -

Action at May Meeting - further consideration of estimate detail for outline e mail -

Action at June Meeting - PC have previously accepted quote, & the possibility of an additional cost of 612 for temporary fencing. Clerk has sent e mail to Sovereign, requesting work to be carried out in September.

21.11 - Request for Memorial Bench on Bothen Hill -

Action at April Meeting - Clerk has advised Emma Grant to contact owners of the land
where the Memorial Bench is requested to be placed.

Action at May/June Meetings - awaiting advice re progress -

21.12 - Parking in Crock Lane -

Action at March Meeting - Clerk has arranged for Site Meeting at junction of Crock Lane with Bowhayes - Wednesday 11 March at 0945 - Ian has agreed to attend.

Action at April Meeting -parking bays observed in Crock Lane - request that DCC rep has another look -

Action at May Meeting - Clerk has been advised to contact MAGNA as regards Parking Bay in Crock Lane - DCC have not reported on white line markings -

Action at June Meeting - County Councillor Ron Coatsworth has sent an e mail to Pc, requesting that Parking in Crock Lane is discussed at July Meeting -

21.13 - Law changes re - Agendas,Minutes, and Websites -

Action at May Meeting - PC advised Clerk to contact Bradpole PC, as they have web site in use -

Action at June Meeting - Clerk had contacted Bradpole Clerk - have good website, but webmaster now retired. Agreed to discuss present arrangements with Ray Gibbs who manages bothenhampton website.

21.14 - Response to letter from Mrs Butler - Geoff Matthews -Action at April Meeting - Geoff outlined a draft response - Clerk to prepare Final Draft for June Meeting -

Action at June Meeting - Clerk read Final Draft - to be posted 9/6/15 -

21.15 - Notes from Colin re Cemetery Play Area - Colin Sparkes -

Action at April Meeting - It was pointed out by PC members that the Cemetery Play Area is on a conditional lease and permanent Play Equipment could not be secured on the site. There was a suggestion that the goal posts could be repainted - Clerk to action estimate -

Action at June Meeting - Clerk informed Meeting that an estimate should be obtained for July Meeting -

21.16 - Vearse Farm Development Plans - Comments from PC -

Action at May Meeting - Response to Development discussed at Meeting, and Ian Bark agreed to present written response to Agent -

Action at June Meeting - deferred to July Meeting -

21.17 - Jacolines Crock - PC agreed quotation cost of 79.95 for a composite sign, and advised Clerk to order -

Action at June Meeting - Sign ordered by Clerk -

Proposals for Parish Matters Agenda -July 2015 Meeting.

No proposals for July Meeting -

22. CORRESPONDENCE - to be tabled at Meeting.

N.B. All correspondence is available from Clerk unless assigned to a Parish Councillor as listed.

22.1 - Walditch Village Magna Carta Celebration - Sunday 21 June 2015 -

22.2 - Letter from Robin Stapleton concerning Avenue of trees in Walditch - to be actioned

22.3 - Minerals Waste & Management -

22.4 - DCC Invitation - to Ian -

22.5 - SLCC -

22.6 - DAPTC Magazines -

22.7 - Electorial Review of Dorset - 22.8 - CPRE Garden Party - to Ian -

The next Meeting of the Parish Council will be held at BOTHENHAMPTON VILLAGE HALL, on MONDAY 13 July 2015, commencing at 7 pm.

There being no further business to discuss, the Meeting closed at 9.00 p.m.


Monday 8 June 2015 -

Crock lane resident, Roy Gerrad had concerns about the clearing of Blood Lane(footpath off Crock Lane). Requested that pile of rubbish is cleared, and that Dog fouling notices are put up, and requested that a waste bin be provide in Lane. Lengthsman to be notified re rubbish removal, and WDDC to request a waste bin.

Walditch resident, , spoke about Spinners Lane, the dangerous chimney, and blocked drains that needed cleaning out. All for Lengthsman's attention, except the dangerous chimney which is being investigated. - commented on good work being carried out at the end of Walditch Lane and by the footpath leading into Crock Lane.