Bothenhampton Village


Present: Alan Stenning(Vice Chair), Ian Bark, Ed Hanson, Pennie Jones, Colin Sparkes. & Elizabeth Welch(Chair for Meeting).

In attendance: Chris Dobbs (Clerk).


109.1 - To remind Parish Councillors that if a matter arises at a Meeting which relates to an interest in Appendix A of the Code of Conduct adopted by resolution of B&WPC on Monday 9th July 2012, then the member shall not participate in a discussion or vote on the matter. Where a matter arises at the meeting which relates to Appendix B of the Code of Conduct, then the member shall withdraw from the Meeting. Where a matter arises at a meeting which relates to a financial interest of friend, relative or close associate, the member concerned shall disclose the nature of the interest and withdraw from the meeting.



The Minutes of the previous Meeting of Bothenhampton and Walditch Parish Council held on Monday10 March 2014, were accepted as true records and duly signed by the Chairman.


112.1- May 2013 - 1 to 12, June - 13 to 24, July - 25 to 36, August - no Meeting, September - 37 to 48, October - 49 to 60, November - 61 to 72, December - no Meeting, January 2014 - 73 to 84, February 2014 -85 to 96, March 2014 - 97 to 108, & April 2014 - 109 to 120. This is following the advice of the Internal Auditor, and creates a unique set of Minutes for each month in the year.


At 7.04 p.m. the Meeting was adjourned to enable members of the public to air their view on matters of local interest. At 7.35 p.m. the Meeting re-convened to complete the Council's agenda, there being no further matters raised.

Presentation by Amanda Streatfield, Symondsbury PC - Neighbourhood Plans - n.b. - There were 5 members of the public present at the Meeting -


David Tett - has very little to report this month.

However, both the District and Town Councils have been considering the Recommendations of the Local Government Boundaries Commission on Wrad Boundaries. Both Councils are to respond to these, and whereas the District Council favours a separate Ward for Bothenhampton, the Town Council is of the opinion that it remains as now and be included with Bridport South.

The new Chief Executive will be taking up duties in June, and the interim period from the end of month, Jason Vaughan, the Director for Resources, will be holding the fort.


Mark Roberts - nothing further to report -


Nb - Neighbourhood Plans & Boundary Changes - Action - on Parish Matters Agenda -

Noted that white lines were being painted on the B3157 -

117.* PLANNING AGENDA for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 14 April 2014 .

a) Applications received from WDDC/DDC - WD/D/14/000686 - 9 Marsh Gate - Extension & alterations - PC to recommend an Objection for the following reasons :-

Overdevelopment of property, and out of character with surrounding bungalow dwellings -

b) Decisions by WDDC/DCC etc

WD/D/14/000257 - Coburg House, Walditch - Approval

WD/D/14/000358 - 1 CrossRoads, Walditch - Approval

WD/D/14/ 000191 - 18 Crock Lane, Bridport - Approval

WD/D/14/000416 - 31 Manor Fields, Bridport - Approval

WD/D/14/000324 - 2 Howard Close, Bridport - Approval

WD/TP/14/00081 - 10 Howard Road - consent is granted to pruning of 2 trees as listed -

118. FINANCE AGENDA - B&WPC MEETING - Monday 10 March 2014.

Receipts - Nil

i) Statement of Current Account as at 31 March 2014 - 11814.49

ii) Accounts for Payment

Less outstanding cheques as listed :-


1347 - C T Dobbs - Clerk's March Salary - 379.08

1348 - HMRC - 3 months Tax - January/February/March 2014 - 284.31

1349 - C T Dobbs - Office Accommodation - January to March 2014 - 97.50

1350 - Forest & Tree Care Ltd - Storm Damage, tree felled - 900.00

1351 - David Landscapes - Grass Cutting - 283.60

1352 - BTC - Bridport Area Lengthsman - 960.00

1353 - CPRE - Annual Subscription - 36.00

Total 2940.49

Balance 8874.00

Cheques as listed proposed for payment by Pennie Jones, seconded by Colin Sparkes, and carried by all Parish Councillors present.

119. * PARISH MATTERS - for B&WPC Meeting - Monday 14 April 2014.

- n.b. All items to be introduced by Clerk unless specified on Agenda -

119.1 - Neighbourhood Plans - to debate, following earlier input from Amanda Streatfield -

Action at April Meeting - have been authorized to send an e mail to Bob Gillis(Town Clerk , Bridport), and Jo Witherden(WDDC), confirming B&WPC interest in being involved with the Area Neighbourhood Plan. Parish Councillors Ian Bark, Colin Sparkes, Pennie Jones, & Elizabeth Welch, all expressed a wish to have an active interest

119.2 - Parish Notice Boards - Notices coming off and causing litter etc -

Action at March Meeting - Clerk instructed to contact Dave Dear of Earlyjoint to see if glass doors can be fitted to the three notice boards -

Action at April Meeting - PC requested that the fitting of cork boards to be considered, and the moving of Walditch Road NB to outside Jellyfields entrance - Clerk to contact Dave Dear -

119.3 - Review of Cedar Tree in Valley View Amenity Area -

Action at February Meeting - After considerable discussion, it was agreed for the Clerk to consult with WDDC Senior Tree Officer with the B&WPC view that a further safety check is carried out on the Cedar Tree(TPO 746A1).

Action at March Meeting - Clerk to contact Graham Cox by e mail regarding the above safety check concern, and advice on trees in Walditch - see Democratic Half Hour notes

Action at April Meeting - Clerk to contact The Arboricultural Association regarding a Safety Report on the Cedar Tree(TPO 746A1).

119.4 - Lengthsman's duties for April 2014 -

Bothenhampton - Tidy up Muddy lane -

Walditch - Clear edge of Cemetery Play Area Boundary -

119.5 - Pedestrian Access to Cemetery Play Area and maintenance of surrounding hedges -

Action at February Meeting - No Action as estimates have not yet been received - to be considered at March Meeting -

Action at March Meeting - Have received estimates, but birds have now started nesting so work to be delayed until after the I July -

Action at April Meeting - To request that David Landscapes dig out path to Cemetery Play Area -

119.6 -Fencing work in John Holt Play Area -

Action at February Meeting - As the work does not present an immediate Health & Safety concern, a further estimate is being sought for the work.

Action at March Meeting - Clerk instructed to choose lowest estimate -

Action at April Meeting - Request Contractor with lowest estimate to carry out work -

119.7 - Parish Computer - not running well -

Action at March Meeting - to ask DD, Bridport to investigate -

Action at April Meeting - PC agreed for Clerk to replace Parish Computer when all the present data has been backed up -

119.8 - Proposed DCC Councillors Boundary Changes -

Action at April Meeting - Clerk requested to e mail the Boundary Commission - indicate that PC would prefer to keep the present arrangements , and have one District Councillor for each Ward of Bothenhampton & Walditch.

119.9 - Poor state of Walditch Road -

Action at April Meeting - Clerk read out reply to PC which indicated that some work was in place. PC asked if Clerk could speak with Dave Maunder, the Local Community Officer for DCC, to discuss the bigger picture of completing satisfactory repairs.

119.10 - Insurance Premium renewal 2014/15 -

Action at April Meeting - The PC agreed to Approve the continuation of the present policy with AON UK Limited, as the 2014/15 premium of 851.95 is based on the same rates as those charged for 2013.

Proposals for the Parish Matters Agenda of the May 2014 Meeting.

Request for Clerk to consult with Conservation Officer re possible Porch Removal.

For the concerns re parking opposite Ab Antiquo to be considered at the Open Forum at the Annual Parish Meeting on Monday 12 May 2014.

108. CORRESPONDENCE - to be tabled at Meeting.

N.B. All correspondence is available from Clerk unless assigned to a Parish Councillor as listed.

120.1 - 10 Downing Street letter - remains with Clerk -

120.2 - Superfast Dorset posters - distributed to reps from Bothenhampton & Walditch -

120.3 - Bridport Heritage Forum & CAB thank you letters - to be filed in Accounts -

120.4 - Dorset Waste Partnership - to Elizabeth Welch -

120.5 - Great Dorset Beach Clean - to Ian Bark -

120.6 - CPRE Notes - to Elizabeth -

120.7 - Bus Timetables - with Clerk -

120.8 - Mobile Library - to Pennie Jones -

The Annual Parish Meeting will be held at BOTHENHAMPTON VILLAGE HALL, on MONDAY 12 May 2014, commencing at 6.30 pm. & followed by the May Meeting of B&WPC.

There being no further business to discuss, the Meeting closed at 9.20 p.m.


Monday 14 April 2014 -

Debbie Knight spoke about her concern that villagers close to Ab Antiquo had not been consulted with regard to the poles which had been set up by DCC to protect the property, and was also concerned that a recent site meeting had taken place between David Capewell, DCC, and members of the Parish Council without any consultation with the public

The owner of Ab Antiquo, David Capewell, distributed papers to Parish Councillors only, which is assumed described the damaged caused to the porch and protecting poles. He went on to describe for twenty minutes how he had made an unsuccessful request in 2011 to take down the porch, and basically that the problems of the porch being hit were often due to poor parking in the road opposite his listed property. Mr Capewell emphasized that he did not want to be a piraha in the village, but he considered that the only solution to the problem was to effect some traffic restriction to prevent vehicles parking opposite Ab Antiquo.

Matthew & Catherine Denney, who live opposite in Royal Oak Cottage, would prefer not to have any restrictions on either side of the road. This view was supported by Debbie Knight and Chris Dobbs, who are also residents living opposite Ab Antiquo. County Councillor Ron Coatsworth indicated that DCC were of the view that villagers should be given the opportunity to speak collectively to the Parish Council.

Action - The Chair of the Meeting, Elizabeth Welch, requested that the problem be placed on the Parish Matters Agenda for the next Meeting in May 2014. Members of the public present were reminded that the Annual Parish Meeting is scheduled for Monday 12 May at 6.30 p.m. when the Agenda will include an Open Forum.

The Chair also requested that the Clerk investigated with WDDC Conservation Officers, of the possibility for removing the porch from Ab Antiquo. It is understood that the porch is an addition to the building, and was added about 40 years ago. There was a suggestion from Parish Councillor Alan Stenning, that warning signs showing day time parking restrictions could be considered.

Amanda Streatfield, from Symondsbury PC, presented a view in favour of Bothenhampton & Walditch PC being part of the Neighbourhood Plans discussions being presently set up in the Bridport Area. Councillors Ron Coatsworth, David Tett, & Mark Roberts all spoke in support of B&WPC joining the Neighbourhood Plan Project.

Action - Neighbourhood Plans are on the Parish Matters Agenda for this Meeting -