MINUTES OF THE BOTHENHAMPTON & WALDITCH PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE VILLAGE HALL, WALDITCH ON MONDAY 10 SEPTEMBER 2007 AT 7P.M.

Present: Geoff Matthews (Vice Chairman), Audrey Pearson, & Colin Sparkes. In attendance: Chris Dobbs (Clerk).

1. APOLOGIES.

Apologies were received from David Stubbs, Karl Wallace, Bob Dennis and David Tett..

2. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Minutes of the previous Meeting of Bothenhampton and Walditch Parish Council held on Monday 13 August 2007, were accepted as a true record of the Meeting and duly signed by the Chairman.

3. MATTERS ARISING.

Prior to the Meeting starting, Chief Inspector Alan Jenkins spoke to the residents attending, as a car had recently been set on fire in Walditch. The Officer reassured those attending that extra Police patrols would be carried out in the next few days and every effort would be made to arrest the offenders.

From July 2007 Minutes - Lucy Chant and Helen Sawyer, from the Friends of John Gundry Play Area, attended to report on the progress of the new play equipment installation. The Project has been completed and the Contractors are visiting the site with representatives from The Friends to discuss any snags that may have occurred.

An opening ceremony has been set for Friday 5th October at 4.00 p.m., and The Friends will make all arrangements and send out invitations.

The Chairman congratulated Lucy and Helen for leading such a challenging project that has produced an excellent play facility for young children.

3.1 Adoption of a Child Protection & Equal Opportunities Policy has been scheduled for 10.1 (Parish Matters).

3.2 A letter has been sent to WDDC concerning the Parish Council's corporate response to Bothenhampton & Walditch Draft Conservation Area Proposals.

Action - Clerk to write to Conservation Officer seeking advice on Parish Council proposals for extending Bothenhampton Conservation Boundary.

To provide the Chair's of Bothenhampton & Walditch Residents Association with an outline of the Parish Council's corporate response.

- 3.3 Letter has been sent to DCC re Parish Street Lighting.
Action - Reply received which has reassured the Parish Council that improvements to the condition to lighting stock does not include any additional lighting units nor will they increase the brightness of existing lamps. Copies of the DCC letter agreed to be sent to David Weston, Ray Gibbs and Roger Ffooks.

3.4 The Chairman has written to The Bridport News regarding the vacancies for 3 Walditch Councillors. Action - Vacancy Notice has been displayed with nominations to be in place by 29th September.

4. DEMOCRATIC HALF HOUR.

At 7.15 pm, the Meeting was adjourned to enable members of the public to air their view on matters of local interest. At 7.35 pm the Meeting re-convened to complete the Council's agenda, there being no further matters raised.

5. REPORT BY WDDC COUNCILLOR FOR BOTHENHAMPTON.

No Report

6. REPORT BY WDDC COUNCILLOR FOR WALDITCH.

Mark Roberts - quiet month in WDDC. He is presently on Scrutiny Committee - considering land drainage and in depth waste disposal. Pointed out that a newly published Enforcement Policy was now in place (Clerk has copy in Correspondence). Commented that Simon Ludgate of WDDC is concerned about Sycamore Avenue. Mark is also involved with scrutiny of strategic partnerships and their operation.

Colin Sparkes heard unconfirmed Report of flytipping in West Bay - need to follow up

7. REPORT BY DCC COUNCILLOR - RON COATSWORTH.

Mountjoy School Planning Permission going ahead. As the site is presently a playing field, 50,000 has been donated by WDDC to refurbish St Mary's Playing Field changing facilities. This was a requirement for Planning Permission set by the Sports Council. There is presently a scrutiny of Day Centres for the elderly. Number attending throughout Dorset (except Bridport), are decreasing. DCC are carrying out Inspection of recycling procedures e.g. food waste disposal - high costs involved - 20% of average waste bin contents is food waste.

8. PLANNING.

A) Applications received from WDDC/DCC.
1/W/07/001156 May Cottage - erect fence. * Approval 10.9.07
1/W/07/001433 7 Crock Lane. Development of Land.
CA/07/00295 23 Main Street. Fell 2 spruce.

B) Decisions by WDDC/DCC etc.
CA/07/00223 Remove cherry tree. No objections.
1/W/07/001064 The Hyde, Walditch. Approval.
1/D/07/001268 17 Gundry Road, Conservatory - Approval
1/D/07/001305 7 Nordons - Loft conversion. Approval.

9. FINANCE

a) Finance Statement of Account as at 31 August 2007 - 7,519.17.

b) Accounts for Payment:-
892 Friends of John Gundry Play Area (Paid 18.8.07). 618.00
893 Connecting Dorset (paid 28.8.07) 980.01
894 Open Spaces Society 30.00
895 Bothenhampton Village Hall 12.00
896 Dorset County Training Partnership 30.00
897 St Mary's, Walditch 750.00
898 Clerk's Salary 314.21
899 Clerk's Expenses 24.11
900 Walditch Village Hall 15.00
901 DCC Homewatch Sign 17.53

All accounts listed were proposed for payment by Audrey Pearson and seconded by Colin Sparkes carried by Parish Council.

10. PARISH MATTERS.

10.1 Child Protection & Equal Opportunities Policies presented to the Parish Council and agreed for adoption as proposal by Colin Sparkes, seconded by Audrey Pearson, and agreed by all present.

10.2 Revised Code of Conduct.
Confirmation that all Councillors had signed the new Declaration of Acceptance, and, established in the Registration of Interests, that they had not received any gifts of 25 or above. All newly appointed Councillors to sign the reviewed Registration of Interests form.

10.3 Nominations for DAPTC Committees.
Action - to be carried forward to next Meeting.

10.4 Road Safety - Both Geoff Matthews and Audrey Pearson have agreed to meet with Doug Chalmers, DCC Senior Road Safety Officer, on Tuesday 25th September at 10 am outside the Village Hall - to consider 30 mph roundel for outgoing traffic and possible re-siting of road signs (Main Street/Hollow Way).
Action - Councillors to be informed of Meeting Date. Reschedule consideration of speed limit signs in Walditch to the next Meeting.

10.5 Survey of Highway Maintenance.
Action - Colin Sparkes agreed to be designated member for Highways.
Clerk needs to complete survey.

10.6 Flood Risk Management - Paper to Colin Sparkes to be considered at next Meeting.

10.7 Corrugated iron supporting bank of footpath adjacent to Crock Lane and going past No 76. Bank/Land adjacent to footpath is responsibility of owner (Not DCC).

10.8 Garages adjacent to footpath in Crock Lane - are privately owned and not responsibility of DCC. 10.9 BLAP - Notification of Steering Group Meeting on Thursday 13 September 07. Action - Representation from Parish Council is Colin Sparkes and Karl Wallace.

10.10 Approval of Virgin Wireless Internet for use by Clerk when he receives Connecting Dorset IT Equipment. It was proposed by Geoff Matthews and seconded by Colin Sparkes, that the Parish Council would meet half (ie presently 10 a month), of the cost of Wireless Internet for all Parish Electronic usage. Carried by all Councillors present.

10.11 First Direct Credit Union - request for supporting financial grant - Action - Geoff to raise at next Meeting.

10.12 Chairman's Seminar dates - no Action.

11. CORRESPONDENCE

To be tabled as listed:-

11.1 Chainsaw Course
11.2 Planning Enforcement Policy & Procedures - Action to Geoff Matthews.
11.3 DAPTC Newsletter nb Audit for 2008 - 31.7.08. Action Audrey Pearson.
11.4 Connecting Dorset Newsletter.
11.5 WDDC Housing Strategy - Consultation Day 12.10.07.
11.6 CPRE Magazine Fieldwork. Action to Audrey Pearson.
11.7 LCR Magazine September 07. Action to Colin Sparkes.
11.8 Charles Street Project. No Action
11.9 WDDC - Dog Control Orders. Action - to Geoff Matthews.
11.10 Clerks & Council Direct - September 2007. No Action.
11.11 Christmas Refuse Collections. Action - for Notice Boards October 097.


The next Meeting will be held in Bothenhampton Village Hall on Monday 8 October 2007, commencing at 7.00 pm.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.15 p.m.

MATTERS RAISED IN THE DEMOCRATIC HALF HOUR.

1. Del Davies referred to email from Graham Cox, Senior Tree Officer DCC, giving permission for reduction of the lower canopy of the Horse Chestnut on Walditch Village Green.
Action - Clerk to arrange removal of debris by Friday 14th September.
NB. Village Barbecue on Walditch Village Green on Sunday 16th September.

2. Del Davies requested Parish Council's response to Draft Conservation Area Appraisal document.

3. Robin Stapleton verbally outlined his recently completed assessment of Sycamore Trees Avenue adjacent to Walditch Road. Will produce written report soon. Commented that mature trees are in a reasonable state although one is poor and in need of pollarding. 2 replacement trees are dead - all choked with weeds. Site needs urgent attention - need to contact Tree Officer.

4. A villager who arrived late expressed her appreciation of the new Play Area. She wonders whether a sign may be necessary to specify age group of users e.g. Young children between 3 and 12. Action - PC to consider guidelines notice for using equipment in John Gundry Play Area.