Minutes of the Bothenhampton & Walditch Parish Council meeting held in the Village Hall Walditch on Monday 27th May 2002.

Present:- Mrs Regan(Chairman), Mr Matthews, Mr Yates, Mrs Clements, Mr Harrison, Mrs England. In attendance M.C.Farnham(Clerk), Rear Admiral Pritchard, Mr Coatsworth.

1. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 29 April 2002 having been circulated to all members, were accepted as a true record of the meeting and duly signed.

2. APOLOGIES

Professor Eastham

3. MATTERS ARISING


The Clerk reported that he had been in contact with DCC concerning the current situation in relation to footpath No 14 and he was able to confirm that due to the foot and mouth problem DCC had been unable to progress this matter. It is likely that a Public Inquiry will need to be held and this will not take place for at least 12 to 18 months.

The Clerk also reported that following his letter to the Electoral Commission voicing the Parish Councils unhappiness to the final recommendations in relation to the Periodic Electoral Review of West Dorset, the Commission had replied stating that the views of the Parish Council have been noted and that they will be taken into account when the Electoral Commission considers the final recommendations from the LGCE.

4. REPORT BY DISTRICT COUNCILLOR REAR ADMIRAL PRITCHARD

As Rear Admiral Pritchard had given a report at the earlier Annual Meeting he had nothing to add on this occasion.

5. REPORT BY COUNTY COUNCILLOR Mr COATSWORTH

As Mr Coatsworth had given a report at the earlier Annual Meeting he had nothing to add on this occasion.

6. DEMOCRATIC HALF HOUR

At this point the meeting adjourned to enable members of the public to air their views on matters of local interest. The meeting then re-convened to complete the Council's agenda.

7. CODE OF CONDUCT

The Clerk reported that he was still waiting for some declarations of interest forms.

8. GOLDEN JUBILEE

The Clerk confirmed that he had received details from WDDC concerning the closure of Main Street, Bothenhampton on the 3 June 2002 so that Golden Jubilee celebrations could take place.

The Clerk also informed the meeting that he had received details of a Special Jubilee Bench that could be purchased and asked if the Parish Council wished to consider this as a way to mark the occasion. It was agreed that the Clerk should obtain a firm cost so that this could be considered at a later meeting.

9. DORSET CC PROPOSED 50 MPH SPEED LIMIT ON THE B3157 BETWEEN BRIDPORT AND PORTESHAM

The Clerk informed the meeting that DCC had written proposing that the B3157 between Bridport and Portesham should now have speed limits. This matter was discussed and it was agreed that the proposed reduction to 50mph was most welcome.

10. PLANNING

  1. Applications received from WDDC;
    Application received from DCC; None.

  2. Decisions by WDDC; Decisions by DCC

11. FINANCE

  1. The Clerk informed the meeting of the current situation
  2. The following accounts were approved for payment.
    1. M.C.Farnham Salary for June 2002 203.54 plus expenses of 121.95 total 325.49
    2. Hire of Bothenhampton Church Hall on 29 April 2002 12.00
    3. Clearing and cutting woodland in preparation for new pay area in Walditch 705.00

The Clerk also reported that he had received a cost from Nick David in relation to the strimming of the high bank in Hollow Way. The cost was 20 for one cutting per month.
Mr Matthews proposed that the above accounts should be paid and the quote received from Nick David should be accepted, this was seconded by Mr Harrison and agreed by all the other Councillors.

12. REQUESTS FOR GRANTS

None.

13. VITAL VILLAGES

Mrs Regan reported that since the last Parish Council meeting an informal Vital Village meeting had been held to discuss the initial steps they need to take. They have now formed a committee with a revolving chairperson, and Mrs Cordell has agreed to be the secretary. It is hoped that at the next meeting they will start on the formation of a Parish Plan, which should take around 12 months to complete.

14. FOOTPATHS AND ROADS

Nothing to report.

15. STREET LIGHTING

Nothing to report.

16. NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH

Nothing to report.

17. CONSERVATION, OPEN SPACES AND PLAY AREAS

Nothing to report.

18. PLAY AREAS

Mr Matthews reported that following the clearing of the new play area in Walditch the next step was to have the overhead electric power supply laid underground etc. He had obtained a cost for removal of the remainder of small shrubs and brambles and the digging of the tree stumps etc and the removal of the remaining brushwood, the general leveling off of the site prior to any landscaping works and the digging of the trench for the electric cable. He has still to obtain the requirement for the laying of the cable underground from Western Power Distribution.

Mrs Regan reported that she had some news on the funding for improvements to the John Holt play area and this hopefully would be put to the Parish Council at the next meeting.

The Clerk reported that he had received a letter dated 22 May 2002 from Bridport Town Council concerning the terms under which the Parish Council could lease the area of land at Bridport Cemetery for a possible play area following a meeting between the Town Council, Professor Eastham and Mr Yates. Mrs Clements voiced her concern that, she, as a member of that sub committee should not have been excluded from any discussions with the Town Council. It was agreed that the Town Council letter should be circulated with the agenda for the next meeting before any agreement was made.

19. A35 COMMUNITIES INITIATIVE

Nothing to report.

22. BRIDPORT REGENERATION AREA PARTNERSHIP MEETINGS

Nothing to report.

23. DORSET ASSOCIATION OF PARISH AND TOWN COUNCILS

Mr Matthews reported that the quarterly meeting of the Western Area Committee is being held today and that he had informed them that on this occasion no one from the Parish Council would be attending. The Clerk confirmed that he had received the following in circulars from the DAPTC

24. CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

  1. From DCC; None
  2. From WDDC;
  3. Letter dated 29 April 2002 from the Millennium Centre thanking the Parish Council for the grant it made.
  4. Letter dated 7 May 2002 from Mr Barnes concerning planning application 1/W/2002/0716 Blueberry Hill Farm.
  5. Letter dated 15 May 2002 from District Audit concerning the audit of accounts for 2002/01.
  6. Agenda from the WATAG meeting to be held on the 23 May 2002[copy passed to Mr Harrison on the 20 May 2002].
There being no further business for discussion the meeting closed at 9.45pm.

MATTERS RAISED IN THE DEMOCRATIC HALF HOUR

  1. Grass Cutting Contract in relation to area above footpath in Hollow Way.
  2. Consideration is being given by the Gentlemen's Club for the provision of a Parish Office and Post Office within their premises.