Minutes of the Bothenhampton & Walditch Parish Council meeting held in the Village Hall Bothenhampton on Monday 8 July 2002.

Present:- Mrs Regan(Chairman), Mr Matthews, Mr Yates, Mrs Clements, Mr Harrison, Mrs England, Mrs Sawyer. In attendance M.C.Farnham(Clerk), Rear Admiral Pritchard, Mr Coatsworth.

1. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 May 2002 having been circulated to all members, were accepted as a true record of the meeting and duly signed.

2. APOLOGIES

Professor Eastham

3. MATTERS ARISING


A] The Clerk informed the meeting that he had received a letter from the Electoral Commission confirming the acceptance of the recommendations of the Boundary Committee without modification.
B] Footpath 14 Bothenhampton; the Clerk informed the meeting that he had received a letter from DCC confirming that the proposed modification has had to be re-advertised and that all previous objections to the order will stand.

4. RESIGNATION OF PARISH COUNCILLOR/CO-OPTION OF COUNCILLOR


The Clerk informed the meeting that he had a letter from Mr Yates informing him that Mr Yates had decided to resign his membership of the Parish Council with immediate effect. It was agreed that a letter should be sent to Mr Yates thanking him for all his work on behalf of the Parish Council.

The Clerk informed the meeting that Mrs Sawyer had put herself forward for co-option onto the Parish Council. Mr Matthews formally proposed that Mrs Sawyer should be co-opted, this was seconded by Mr Harrison and agreed by all the other Councillors. Mrs Regan welcomed Mrs Sawyer to the Parish Council.

5. REPORT BY DISTRICT COUNCILLOR REAR ADMIRAL PRITCHARD

Rear Admiral Pritchard reported that a White Paper on Elected Regional Government has been issued. This elected body will consist of 25/35 members, located in Bristol for the South West. This elected body will take over from the South West Counties Regional Planning conference and the Regional Development Agency. It will also mean that a Unitary Authority Council would replace Dorset County Council and the West Dorset District Council. Affordable housing will increasingly be on the agenda before the local elections next year. WDDC has worked hard to increase the provision on any sizeable development. The number of new housing in the area does not meet current demand. However, with WDDC currently debt free, they can take advantage of this to give the Housing Corporation the sum of 2 million to increase the provision of rented accommodation.

6. REPORT BY COUNTY COUNCILLOR Mr COATSWORTH

Mr Coatsworth reported that he has had talks with the Area Manager of Wessex Water concerning the smells from the sewage treatment works in Burton Road and that they are doing all that they can to improve the situation. He requested that ay reports on future smells can be given direct to Wessex Water or people can contact him and he will in turn speak to Wessex Water. He also confirmed that there was no news on the location of the new transfer station. He confirmed that DCC had now taken over the duties for enforcing car parking regulations on the highway from the police. The police are installing more speed cameras and some of these will be used to enforce the new speed limit along the coast road. DCC is involved with Best Value and one of the items highlighted was the use of the 'Clarence' system to report highway problems by the public.

7. DEMOCRATIC HALF HOUR

At this point the meeting adjourned to enable members of the public to air their views on matters of local interest. The meeting then re-convened to complete the Council's agenda.

8. CODE OF CONDUCT

The Clerk referred to the recent letters received from WDDC on this matter and the fact that a video was available for those Councillors who did not attend the training session. This was noted.

9. POLICE PARTNERSHIP TRUST

The Clerk referred to the letter dated 27 May 2002 from the Police Partnership Trust, a copy of which had been sent out with the agenda. It was agreed that Mrs Regan and Mrs Clements would attend the seminar on the 25 September 2002 in Dorchester.

10. POST OFFICE

Mrs Regan reported that the owner of the Old Post Office had been in contact with her concerning the state of the wall now that the Parish Council had removed their old notice board. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Mrs Trowbridge and inform her that an arrangement would be made for the wall to be painted to match the colour of the rest of the wall etc.

11. JUBILEE SEATS

The Clerk referred to the details received concerning the provision of seats to commemorate the Queen's Jubilee,and it was agreed that the Clerk should obtain quotations for further consideration.

12. PLANNING

  1. Applications received from WDDC;
    Application received from DCC; None.

  2. Decisions by WDDC; Decisions by DCC; None

13. FINANCE

  1. The Clerk informed the meeting of the current situation
  2. The following accounts were approved for payment.
    1. M.C.Farnham Salary for July 2002 203.54
    2. Hire of Bothenhampton Church Hall on 8 July 2002 12.00
    3. Supply of electricity for Street Lighting for the period 1 April to 30 June 2002 303.03

It was proposed by Mr Matthews that the above accounts should be paid this was seconded by Mrs Clements and agreed by all the other Councillors.

12. REQUESTS FOR GRANTS

The Clerk informed the meeting that Bothenhampton Church had requested payment of the half yearly grant towards the upkeep of the churchyard. He confirmed that a sum of 900 is in the precept for this year. It was proposed that the sum of 450 be paid this was seconded by Mrs Clements and agreed by all the other Councillors.

15. VITAL VILLAGES

Mr Harrison reported that since the last Parish Council meeting Vital Village Committee had met on 14 June 2002 and 5 July 2002. At these meetings the following matters were discussed, content and delivery of the questionnaire to be sent to all households. provision of headed paperwork, contents of the Countryside video, a presentation by Simon Thompson from Dorset Community Action and the holding of a public meeting sometime in September 2002.

16. FOOTPATHS AND ROADS

Mrs Regan informed the meeting that the section of bank above the high pavement in Hollow Way had not been cut, also the grass in the John Holt play area is long considering that it had only recently been cut. The Clerk undertook to speak to Mr David.

17. STREET LIGHTING

Nothing to report.

18. NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH

Nothing to report.

19. CONSERVATION, OPEN SPACES AND PLAY AREAS

The Clerk informed the meeting that he had received a letter from the Valley View Resident's Society concerning the current state of the open space. Mrs Regan informed the meeting that she had been to see the open space in development in Lower Walditch and it is very overgrown. The question of maintenance was discussed. The Clerk stated that, until an agreement had been signed by the Parish Council to take over the area concerned, the responsibility for the area still remains with the developer and that any maintenance was his responsibility. As regards the overall state of the area it was agreed at a previous meeting that because WDDC had stated that the developer had completed with the requirements of the planning permissions, this area was as good as it could be and that if the Parish Council wished to become responsible for the area, the Parish Council had to accept its current condition. The Clerk confirmed that he had already requested from the Councils Solicitor the draft agreement for consideration in relationship to the ownership of this area of land. The Clerk agreed to write to the Parish Solicitor again requesting the draft agreement for consideration and to ask him to confirm with the developer that the area was in need of some day to day maintenance until such time and the area was handed over to the Parish Council. It was also agreed that Mrs Sawyer should take the place of Mr Yates in dealing with this area with Professor Eastham. It was noted that Mrs Clements had stated that she no longer wished to be part of the sub-committee.

20. PLAY AREAS

The Clerk handed out to each Councillor a copy of the letter received form Bridport Town Council which sent out the provisional terms under which the Parish Council would be able to take over the area of land from the Town Council until it is required for cemetery purposes. it was agreed that the Clerk should write to the Church of England Diocese of Salisbury to obtain the necessary faculty for the use of this land before the matter could be progressed further.

Mrs Regan reported that the Awards for All grant application had now been sent. Also an application to Hanson, one of the two firms who had quoted for the resurfacing inspected the equipment and there is rust under the slide. she had therefore made arrangements for all the equipment to be inspected by the Health and Safety section of WDDC free of charge.

21. A35 COMMUNITIES INITIATIVE

Nothing to report.

22. DORSET ASSOCIATION OF PARISH AND TOWN COUNCILS

The Clerk confirmed that he had received the following circulars from the DAPTC

24. CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

  1. From DCC; Letter dated 27 June 2002 concerning footpath 14.
  2. From WDDC;
  3. Letter dated 28 May 2002 from the Countryside Agency with information on Vital Villages and Section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.
  4. Letter dated 19 June 2002 from Dorset Community Action concerning the appointment of 2 rural housing enablers.
  5. Letter dated 11 June 2002 from the Bothenhampton Jubilee Committee thanking the Parish Council for the grant of 50
There being no further business for discussion the meeting closed at 8.55pm.

MATTERS RAISED IN THE DEMOCRATIC HALF HOUR

  1. Condition of open space and possible play area in the Lower Walditch Development
  2. Copies of signed minutes.
  3. Provision of ramp for skate boarding in John Holt Play Area.
  4. Ivy on the wall at John Holt Play Area along with the over hanging trees need to be cut back.
  5. Vegetation growing through the high pavement, Main Street Bothenhampton.
  6. Drains along Long Lane marked with a white 'X@ need jetting.