MINUTES OF THE BOTHENHAMPTON & WALDITCH PARISH COUNCIL. MEETING HELD IN THE VILLAGE HALL, BOTHENHAMPTON, ON MONDAY 10 JANUARY 2011 at 7 p.m. Present: David Stubbs(Chair for Meeting), Audrey Pearson, Debbie Jack, Pennie Jones, Colin Sparkes, Peter Tobutt, & Elizabeth Welch, - Bob Dennis attended from 7.30 pm. - 8 Parish Councillors were present.
In attendance: Chris Dobbs (Clerk).


73.1 - To remind Parish Councillors of the need to make a Declaration of Interest on any Agenda items where personal or prejudicial interest may arise. E.g. A Grant request for a Village Hall Project, or a Planning Application adjacent to a Parish Councillor's home.

73.2 - The Chairman, Karl Wallace, to withdraw from leading the PLANNING AGENDA, as he is a member of WDDC Development Control Committee, and this part of the Meeting is to be led by the Vice Chairman, Bob Dennis, or a Parish Councillor nominated by the Chairman.

73.3 - Parish Councillor Debbie Jack is presently working for DCC Planning - Regulation 3 + large School extensions/inc. farms & County owned buildings - this should not affect her giving a view on PC received WDDC/DCC Planning Applications.


74.1 There were apologies from - Karl Wallace & Ron Coatsworth -


The Minutes of the previous Meeting of Bothenhampton and Walditch Parish Council held on Monday 8 November 2010, were accepted as true record and duly signed by the Chairman for the evening, David Stubbs.


76.1 Numbering of Minutes from May 2010. Minutes to be numbered sequentially i.e. May - 1 to 12, June - 13 to 24, July - 25 to 36, August - no Meeting, September - 37 to 48, October - 49 to 60 , November - 61 to 72 , December - no Meeting, January 2011 - 73 to 84, February 2011 - 85 to 96, March 2011 - 97 to 108, & April 2011 - 109 to 120 . This is following the advice of the Internal Auditor, and creates a unique set of Minutes for each month in the year.


At 7.06 p.m. the Meeting was adjourned to enable members of the public to air their view on matters of local interest. At 7.15 p.m. the Meeting re-convened to complete the Council's agenda, there being no further matters raised.
n.b. - There were 3 members of the public present at the Meeting -


David Tett presented the following - News from West Dorset District Council:

Firstly, work on the new Council Head Quarters is expected to start early in the New Year. The costs of the new offices(the first phase of the Charles Street Development) have fallen by 1million to 9.7 million.

The Stratton House Campus will be offered for sale on the open market in the summer.

Work is also continuing to ensure a long term future of the Crown Court and a transfer of it to The National Trust.

Secondly, the Council has recently completed a Property Asset Review. Certain properties within the District have been found surplus to requirements. Two of these being Wanderwell Quarry and Jellyfields, both being in the Parish of Bothenhampton, are featured in the List.

An Asset value of 10,000 is placed against the Quarry, whilst Jellyfields has a nominal value of 1.

It is the intention of offering both properties to the Parish Council and to transfer, at a peppercorn, the freehold in both sites with a claw back clause if either or both properties are subsequently sold on the open market.

However, to allow the Parish Council time to consider the implications of taking over the properties, the District Council will give to the Parish Council a twelve month option to make a decision.

Thirdly, the Government Grant has been cut from 7.689M in 2010/2011 to 6.551M in 2011/2012 and 5.760M in 2012/2013, a total cut of 1.929M or 25.1%.

In the words of the Director for Resources and Health 'the cut is more savage than expected'. However, the Council's current plan to deal with the Grant cuts, based on stored up savings , partnership working and the new offices, should be sufficient to meet the cuts without having a major detrimental impact on service provision.

District Council Ward Member
10 January 2011

Note by Clerk -

David was informed by the Clerk that the PC had received an e mail from WDDC re the past March 2010 decision not to take up the offer of ownership of Wanderwell & Jellyfields LNR. A lively debate ensued, and while David agreed to communicate with WDDC regarding the recent Property Asset Review, the Parish Councillors present considered that further debate on the matter of possible BWPC ownership of both Wanderwell & Jellyfields should be placed on the Agenda of the February 2011 Meeting. The recent WDDC Property Asset Review has possibly changed the responsibility and perspective of BWPC regarding the two Local Nature Reserves.


Mark Roberts attended & contributed to the debate regarding Jellyfields & Wanderwell LNR


Ron Coatsworth had given his Apologies for the Meeting -


a) Applications received from WDDC/DDC :-

TP/10/00379 - 10 Howard Close - reduce & Shape 1 Twisted Willow & Silver Birch by 5% - Action - no comments submitted -

1/D/10/001697 - 7 Mount Joy - Demolish conservatory. New single storey extension & porch. Replace roof to store - Action - Corporate View is to recommend Approval of planning consent-

1/D/10/002037 - Ashbourne, Westown - External Alterations - Action - Corporate View is to recommend approval of planning consent -

b) Decisions by WDDC/DCC etc.

TPO 746(A.1) - TP/10/0037 - 8 Howard Close - to remove western facing branch of Macrocarpa tree - consent is granted -

1/D/10/001788 - 2 Slades Green - New extension - Approval -

1/D/10/001821 - 3 Sunnyside, Main Street - Erect Summer House & 2 sheds - Approval -

1/D/10/001803 - 76 Crock Lane - Demolish shed & kennels. Retain new log style garage for storage/workshop - Refusal of Planning Permission -


Receipts - January 2011 - Nil Deposits -

Please note that Cheque 1129 to David Landscapes for 1047.05 was authorized for payment on 14/12/10 -

i) Statement of Current Account as at 31 December 2010 - 116121.86
ii) Accounts for Payment

Less outstanding cheques as listed :

1130 Bridport & District CAB - 500.00

1131 Holy Trinity, Bothenhampton - 100.00

1132 St Mary's Church, Walditch - 1000.00

1133 Bothenhampton Village Hall - 12.00

1134 C T Dobbs - Office Accommodation - Oct to Dec 97.50

1135 C T Dobbs - Expenses - 40.60

1136 C T Dobbs - Salaries - Nov & Dec 758.16

1137 HM Revenue & Customs - Oct to Dec 2010 284.31

1138 HM Revenue & Customs -Additional Payment 29.82

Total - 2822.43

Balance - 8789.43

Proposed for payment by Colin Sparkes, seconded by Pennie Jones, and carried by all Parish Councillors present.


- n.b. All items to be introduced by Clerk unless specified on Agenda - Karl requested that the provision of Pedestrian Crossings in Sea Road South & the Burton Road should be placed on the Agenda for the January 2011 Meeting.

83.1 - Consideration of Pedestrian Crossings in Sea Road South & the Burton Road - Action - item to be on the Agenda for the February Meeting.

83.2 - Lengthsman - Kevin Eden - Review of work carried out during November/December 2010 - Clerk to share Journal Notes with PC - Action - Clerk reported favourably re gritting carried out in Bothenhampton & Walditch locations.

83.3 - Snow & Ice adverse conditions - Requests for additional Grit Bins -
DCC leaflet on Winter Maintenance - Action - As there were a total of 12 Grit Bins requested for various locations, the Clerk will prepare a location map for consultation with DCC, as they need to approve & secure Bins to selected sites and are also responsible for filling with grit. Clerk to obtain estimates for Grit Bin costs from recommended suppliers & report to February Meeting.

83.4 - Walditch Village Hall - Request for Grant to repair/renovate Flat Roof -
WDDC Bridport Area Community Projects Fund 2011, opened 1/12/10 & closes 28/2/11 - Action -Parish Councillors asked Clerk to establish the percentage that Walditch Village Hall Committee are requesting, also if they are making an Application to Bridport Area Community Projects Fund. Further consideration re Walditch Village Hall request to the February 2011 Meeting.

83.5 - Part Night Street Lighting - Response to DCC proposals re. restricted lighting times - e.g. switch off from 2359 to 0530 - request serious safety concerns to be considered by PC - e.g. High Pavement illumination in Main Street & Hollow Way -
Action - The Part Night Street Lighting implementation was favourably received, although concern regarding the safety of pedestrians using the Ancient High Footpath in Hollow Way & the High Pavement in Main Street, Bothenhampton, should require special consideration.

83.6 - High Pavement Maintenance - Dry Stone Wall section is presently in need of attention - e mail from John Burridge, DCC Principal Engineer, Bridge Management - to be outlined by Clerk - Action - Clerk requested to acknowledge e mail from John Burridge, and to express concern about present loss of parking space -

83.7 - External Audit 2010 - Resolve of Sundry Deposit/S 106 balance for Walditch 'Open Spaces' with WDDC, & implications for BWPC 2011 Audit -Action - Clerk advised to relate concerns to DAPTC and report to next Meeting -

83.8 - Sycamore Avenue, Walditch - Clerk to consult with Debbie Jack re further PC action - Action - Advised to set up meeting with Robin Stapleton, Graham Cox( WDDC Tree Officer, Debbie Jack, to consider a resolve to the present concerns -

83.9 - Dorset Waste Forum - 10.00 Friday 21 January 2011 at Dorford Centre, Bridport Road, Dorchester - invitation to PC's - Action - Colin Sparkes agreed to attend the Forum -

83.10 - DCC - Budget Consultation -e mail from Chief Executive - David Jenkins - Action - document to David Stubbs -

83.11 - DCC - Termination of Partnership/Agency Arrangements for Tree, Grass Cutting, Weed - killing & Minor Highway Maintenance activity works - Clerk to outline implications for BWPC - Action - to make further enquiries as to whether this action will affect BWPC - to report to next Meeting -

83.12 - Jellyfields LNA - re enquiry by DCC re maintenance of area - Action - BWPC to consider both Jellyfields & Wanderwell LNA's at next Meeting -

Proposals for the Parish Matters Agenda of the February 2011 Meeting :

Debbie Jack asked about new Government Plans to involve Parish Councils in Local Planning decisions, as she understands that WDDC is one of the Pilot Authorities - Action - Clerk requested to make further enquiries for next Meeting -

84. CORRESPONDENCE - to be tabled at Meeting.

N.B. All correspondence is available from Clerk unless assigned to a Parish Councillor as listed.
84.1 - Refuse Collection Arrangements Christmas & New Year 2010/2011 -
84.2 - Go for Green Spaces - appeal - No Action -
84.3 - CPRE - Fieldwork Journal - to Audrey -
84.4 - Dorset Community Action Newsletter - to Colin -
84.5 - Community Resilience Planning - to Elizabeth -
84.6 - Spirit of Bridport - to be forwarded to Karl -
84.7 - BLAP - Steering Group Meeting - 3 March 2011 - to Colin -
84.7 - Census Information - Sunday 27th March 2011 - David -
The next Meeting will be held in Bothenhampton Village Hall on Monday 14 February 2011, commencing at 7 p.m.

There being no further business to discuss, the Meeting closed at 8.40 p.m.


Nb - These notes are attached to the Minutes of the Parish Council held on Monday 10 January 2011 :-

Roger Ffooks commented about the high level of accounts paid to David Landscapes in November. Clerk outlined two Winter tasks which David landscapes had recently carried out providing clear and level walkways on each side of the John Gundry Play Area. Estimates for the work had been approved by the Parish Council in January 2010, on the understanding that work would not be carried out until the late Autumn.

The propping up of the High Pavement was noted by Roger, who commented that at least two parking spaces had been lost adjacent to the Village Hall. The Clerk indicated that the High Pavement problem was on the Agenda of Parish Matters for the Meeting, and a response was anticipated by the Parish Council.